I had my 3rd radiation appointment this morning (2nd for the shoulder). It was moved to an earlier time today due to my pre-op appointment this afternoon.
The radiation part is easy. But it still sort of freaks me out. Hopefully I'll get over this with time. But the 3 women leave the room, and I'm left lying there alone, knowing that I'm not supposed to move at all, while this machine circles around me, making noises. It doesn't take long, but when I think about it, it freaks me out. And then I also manage to freak myself out by worrying that I'm going to move. Hopefully this will soon become more routine.
Today they had me meet with the radiation oncologist (the original one I met with last week) after the radiation. That all led to all sorts of fears creeping in as well. Of course, I'm nervous about the pre-op appointment this afternoon and the slowly approaching surgery date, so I'm sure that was adding to my anxiety. But they went through the list of symptom questions again. I'm going to skip some details on here, but it made me a little paranoid.
Then I did hear one piece of bad news in particular. On one of my scans from late last week, they found another "lesion" somewhere in my pelvic area. I asked if that means tumor, and he said yes. But he needs to look into it further now to see what should be done, etc. I probably shouldn't be freaked out at all, but it did scare me this time. So perhaps they'll start radiating that one soon too.
Another piece of somewhat bad news... We had miscounted the days in the hospital. When we were told 4-5 days, apparently that doesn't include Friday (the day of surgery). So the stay just got extended by a day, based on what we had thought. Ugh. And they did decide to radiate on Friday morning before I go to the hospital, but they'll skip Monday. Then perhaps they'll come get me on Tuesday. The radiation oncologist actually said he was going to come by to see me in the hospital. I was surprised.
Then another piece of good news / bad news. They weighed me today, and I've lost 2 lbs since last week. I guess it's just from nerves? Losing weight isn't such a bad thing. ;) But it did freak me out a little. sigh.
Then the doctor started talking a little bit about what might happen in terms of treatments after radiation and surgery, and that got me nervous too. I've been so focused on the radiation, which we know will get rid of the tumors -- and the surgery, which we know will get rid of the main tumor. So I've been keeping my mind off the stuff that will come afterwards. And being reminded today that the next steps are unknown and will require decisions just made me anxious. Like I said, I was anxious anyway due to my appointment this afternoon, the MRI tomorrow, and surgery Friday. Maybe it's time to start taking that valium prescription soon... ;)
But the GOOD news... The doctor took the little slip of paper which was for getting a weekly blood test at the hospital... and he ripped it into shreds and threw it away!!!!!!! :) :) HOORAY!!!!!! Thank you, God, for little (big!) blessings!!!!! :) :) I might need it eventually, but for now, the doctor decided there was no need to torture me. :)
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
With all of the anxiety and nervousness, I'm so very GLAD they decided against the blood test! Hooray!
Karin,
It is truly amazing to read your posts and the amazing attitude you have. On almost all of your posts, a smile tends to creep onto my face. Your attitude is truly a wonderful example of what God's Love and trust in God can do for someone. It is inspiring.
I subbed in the boys class today and Kevin got a kick out of it. He saw me and exclaimed in excitement "What are you doing in here?". He seemed to have a great day today!!
Jessica
Karin,
I'm sure this verse is well known to you, but reading it in the NLT translation, Phil. 4:6-7 says:
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
May he grant you peace, especially as you face the upcoming surgery.
Cindy Aune
Karin,
It sounds like you have a wonderful radiation oncologist! I'll be praying that the radiation gets the pain under control before your surgery!
Amanda
Karin,
I wish I could give you some of my fun in blood mentality. It will get easier as you participate in more treatments. It is like anything, the more you do it the better you become. It appears you are about to become very good at the medical thing. Laura and I are friends with a local Christian Disc Jockey who when she heard about you gave us a CD she put together. It is music and verses dealing with healing--Laura and I and now Robyn are praying for your healing. I will send it first thing tomorrow. We Love YOU-give everyone a big hug. Cuz Mark
Post a Comment