I got worked up enough about the pre-op appointment that I actually took one of my prescribed valium pills. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of effect on me, but I definitely wasn't freaking out once we were there. So I guess it did its job. ;)
First we had to meet with a nurse and answer a bunch of questions. Then she sent us down to the lab. She had me sit in a comfy chair to wait... and I fell asleep!! Needless to say, I was much more relaxed than I had been back at home. ;) She started by doing an EKG. I had had one done once before long ago, so that test wasn't new - or scary. Then it was time for the blood test. I asked if I could just remain lying down on the bed, and Steve was able to go around to the other side to hold my hand. I always make it very clear that they should not tell me what's happening and never mention the B word. This helps immensely! So as I lay there, I told Steve to think of something to talk about.... he chose dessert!! Good choice!!!! ;) So we named all types of chocolate as the nurse got ready and did her job. It went by pretty quick and easy!! Hooray!! :) And this nurse actually abided by my wishes of not saying anything. (They often still think they're supposed to say something...fortunately, this one really "got it." ;) )
Then back to the nurse's office to talk some more....and then anesthesiologist came in. As they talked to me and realized my overall condition (other than just having a kidney removed), they both seemed surprised. This never makes me feel better. sigh. As Steve has always said, I've always enjoyed doing unique things... however, this is probably not one of the ways in life that I really wanted to be unique. ;)
The anesthesiologist was very nice, but apparently it will be one of his colleagues who will be on duty on Friday instead. We were told that all 3 are wonderful though.
I am to arrive at the hospital at noon on Friday. First, I will have radiation at 10am though. Then my surgery is scheduled for 2pm. There's always the possibility of a delay -- or even of them calling to move it up, if someone else's surgery is canceled. The surgery will last for 3 hours. Before surgery, 2 people are allowed to go in with me. So we still need to make decisions about which of my parents will come, who will stay with the kids that day, if there will be a rotation, etc. (My dad is flying back here on Thursday to be here for the surgery.) So surgery will be approximately from 2-5pm on Friday. Then they said I'd be in the recovery room from about 5-6:30pm. No one is allowed to visit me in the recovery room. I was quite disappointed in that. My only surgery experience is that of Kevin....twice. And of course, both times, we were able to be in the recovery room. But she said that only parents of children are allowed in there. Not spouses. :( My experience with Kevin also includes him totally flipping out when he woke up both times. But I was assured that this is common with children, and hopefully will not be the case with me!! Still, I really wish that Steve could be by my side when I awake.
After the recovery room, it is possible that they would send me to intensive care. But apparently, it's unlikely. But possible. If they do, Steve could go visit me there. But most likely, they will then send me to my room. I will have a private room, and Steve can definitely go there. I'm uncertain if my parents would be allowed into my room outside of the regular hospital visiting hours or not. But hopefully it will still be within hospital visiting hours once I arrive in my room anyway. The greatest news was.... Steve is allowed to spend the night in my room!!!!! :) :) So he plans to do that!!!! HOOORAY!!! Of course, he does need to spend some time at home with the kids over the few days that I'm in the hospital. But he plans to be with me at night -- and often during the day too! However, if I'm in intensive care the first night, he cannot stay.
I was told some pretty scary things about where things will be attached to me... such as an IV in my hand, an IV by my neck, and an epidural. And those things will be staying around for a couple days. ARRRGGHHH!!!!!! Ok, end of topic. Let's not discuss this one further... Just please pray for my peace and safety on this one. Not to mention other tubes going into other parts of my body, some of which may be removed by the time I'm awake. Please, God!!!! I was also told that I'll likely be set up to control my own pain meds dosage with a button. But then after the epidural discussion, maybe that will no longer be true? Or maybe I will have both? I think it was undetermined as of the time I left. And then my wise husband pointed out that I do need pain meds for things other than just the surgery area, such as my shoulder! Yay for Steve!! So I'm not sure what the verdict was there, but it sounds like they're going to take care of me.
Oddly enough, I felt more calm when I left this appointment than when I arrived. But they did look over my scans and said something about a couple possible small regions of cancer elsewhere that I hadn't been officially told about yet....but there's no point in worrying about those for now. We just need to keep chugging on. sigh. Oh, and apparently the one I had been told about this morning for the first time is actually on my hip. Then we ended the day by stopping by the urologist's office for some instructions on things I'm supposed to do the night before surgery. sigh.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dear sweet Karin,
We are with you in prayer all the way, but what is more important is that the Lord is with you now and forever, He never leaves you. He will hold your other hand and He will comfort you and give you strength.
We love you,
Robert, Terri and Brian
I am SO proud of you, Karin! You were wonderful at this appointment! And you fell asleep! Ha! : ) Love it! And, as you know, I sure WILL pray for your peace and safety in regards to the issue you mentioned, . . . as well as for many other Karin-health-related issues. Love you!
Will it help to hear that most likely you will be asleep in recovery? Even though they can wake you up, you will fall asleep again immediately. And you probably won't even be very awake. I think this is better. But most important is, as Terri said, the Lord is with you now, in the operating room, in the recovery room and He is with you forever.
Dear Jesus,
Divine Physician and Healer of the sick,
we turn to You in this time of illness.
O dearest comforter of the troubled,
alleviate our worry and sorrow
with your gentle love,
and grant us the grace and strength
to accept this burden.
Dear God,
We place our worries in Your hands.
We place our dear Karin under Your care
and humbly ask
that You restore Your servant Karin to health again.
Above all, grant us the grace
to acknowledge Your will
and know that whatever You do,
You do for the love of us.
Amen.
Hi, I don't know you at all, but I've been following your blog since a mutual friend told me about your story. Know that there is a large Bible study group in Georgia praying for you.
I just wanted to tell you that I had a major kidney surgery in February of this year. It was not for cancer, but the surgery was very similar - in fact, they expected to remove my kidney but ended up being able to save it. Anyway, I had all the iv's and tubes, several days in ICU, the epidural, etc. (By the way, I had a pain button to release extra medication through the epidural, so that will surely still be available to you.)
I'm sure you have lots of support from people you actually know, but feel free to post a message on my blog through the link here, and I would be happy to "talk" to you about any aspects of the surgery you may be worried about. It's funny that your dr said people describe the surgery as feeling like being hit with a baseball bat because I actually asked my surgeon a few days after the surgery if he was sure they hadn't accidentally left a baseball bat under my rib cage!
Regarging recovery, my family was not allowed in for that either, but honestly, I don't remember one second of it. Apparently, I was in recovery for over and hour and had a conversation with my anasthesiologist, but I don't have the faintest recollection of it. So, don't worry - drugs can be good things!
Sorry for such a long comment, but I wanted you to know that, while I can't imagine the fear and anxiety that must accompany the cancer diagnosis and everything else you're going through, I do know what this surgery is like, and I am praying for you daily.
Peace to you, Karin, and to your family as you approach these scary things. You are not alone. God knows the plans that he has for you. They are plans to prosper you and not to harm you. I pray that you have strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow. GREAT is God's faithfulness.
Post a Comment