Karin did great today. She really wasn't keen on getting out of bed, knowing it would hurt. But she was brave and did it. It was certainly a challenge... she needed help getting up of course because of the incision, but things were complicated by her left shoulder being very painful to even touch (from the cancer), and her right shoulder also being in pain (side effect of pressure during surgery we're told), and her right thigh being so numb that she didn't really have much control over that leg... So basically we could work with a hand on her back and some support via her right arm. So we couldn't really help too much and Karin had to put in a lot of effort. The hard part for her is that despite the pain meds, as soon as she moved in any way, her left shoulder bone pain was very intense. She shed some tears but she got through it.. got into a chair, where she stayed for a couple hours and did very well, during which time her mom left the kids and came to visit. The switch back to bed was equally tough. Once there, she quickly fell asleep, and awoke 1.5 hours later in pain at her side. It took 1.5 hours to really get the pain under control again, with another 30 minutes of sleep in the middle, because she was so exhausted.
Before that pain started, I went home for an hour while Karin's mom was visiting to collect some things and spend a little time with the kids. Kevin was happy to see me but not at all weepy and asked no questions.. seemed like he actually had forgot where mommy was, but who knows.
When Karin was feeling well mid day, we decided to have the kids visit after dinner. Unfortunately, by the time Grandpa and Grandma brought them to visit, Karin was in pretty bad shape. She could hardly speak (just a whisper) and couldn't even smile. She felt really bad about Kevin seeing her this way. We assured Kevin that mommy will be doing better tomorrow. We ketp the visit very short, and he didn't get to touch mommy, just blow a kiss. He was upset to leave, but his emotions change quickly so I'm sure he was ok before long.
We finally got Karin's pain under control and she is sleeping again now. I pray she will wake pain-free too.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I feel so badly, because I feel that I am partly to blame for her big setback. I should have been pressing her pain med buttons while she slept. There was such a dramatic difference in her in only 1.5 hours -- from rosy cheeked and animated to gray and beyond worn out. Kevin did cry on and off all the way home. Kien seemed fairly oblivious to the whole experience. At bedtime, Kevin let me pray without much, if any, contributions from him.
Please give Karin a very gentle hug and kiss for me (although my prayers and thoughts for her (and all of you) are much stronger). Denise
Each day will be a little better. Stay strong. You are in our prayers. Jean & Bill
I stand in agreement with you on that prayer! Great accomplishment getting out of bed Karin!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!! You did way better than I did, I told the PT NO WAY JOSE!! Will call to check on you tomorrow sis! Love ya!
Hey, Karin's Mom - be kind to yourself. You were not to blame. I am sure the hospital staff would have instructed you to press her pain med button if that was appropriate. I think however they want only the patient managing their med distribution. You could not have anticipated Karin's rapid change. Kevin will be fine and probably won't even remember the incident tomorrow.
Dear Steve,
Thinking about Karin's monumental effort to get out of bed, this is the verse that came to mind. "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit" Zechariah 4:6.
We pray that God's Spirit is with her to lift her out of bed and to take her pain away. We can't do anything ourselves but through God's Spirit nothing is impossible.
May God bless you and give you both rest tonight.
We love you and we are praying.
Robert, Terri and Brian Chalnick
Thanks Steve for the update. First day seems to be the hardest. Hope and pray your night is without pain Karin, at least under control. Both of you try to get some rest. We checked in with Grant and Nina and everything seemed a-okay. Love to all
Gary and Ellen
GREAT JOB on getting up, Karin! I'm so proud of you!!! Recovering from surgery is sure hard work. Each day will get a little easier, . . . and they you'll be headin' on home!!!! : )
I'm so proud of Karin for getting up-I know that was seriously Heracles great accomplishment...and it WILL be easier to do tomorrow...just take each day at a time...little by little, little by little...we'll keep praying!
Love
Kelley and Steve
I'm so proud of Karin for getting up-I know that was seriously Heracles great accomplishment...and it WILL be easier to do tomorrow...just take each day at a time...little by little, little by little...we'll keep praying!
Love
Kelley and Steve
Steve, thanks for the update. Karin, keep up the good work. Remember, as you lay in that bed, or sitting up in the chair, whether you are sleeping or in pain, Jesus has His arms around you holding you close to HIm!
Karin, Congratulations on getting up on bed! Walking the day after surgery is hard, and you did it! I hope today is better for you.
Steve,
It’s great to see you and your family staying strong in these tough times. Everyone at work is wishing you and your family all the best and Karin a speedy recovery. Continue to keep your spirits up!
Regards,
-- Feisal
Post a Comment