At my radiation appointment today, I found out very good news.... now that all my scanning is complete (after my MRI last night), they now know that I have NO tumors in my brain!!!!! I hadn't even wanted to discuss this possibility previously, but I assumed it was probably clear that this is why they were performing an MRI of my head. So as Steve said, they scanned my brain and found nothing there. (ha ha ha)
Now for the bad news... Steve looked over my bone scans a week ago and saw something himself and contacted the doctor. He decided to not tell me about it until after my MRI, otherwise I would be really scared until we had more answers. So I do agree that he was right. I would have been petrified. But he did tell me this afternoon, and nevertheless, I still did not take it well. Although I do not have any tumors in my brain, I do have a spot on my skull. That still scares me to death. I was quite shocked. Apparently Steve and my parents have known this all week. Had I known, I would have been even more afraid, thinking that there could likely be a brain tumor as well. So it was definitely nicer to find out in the context of already knowing that a brain tumor does not exist. But that still didn't make this "good news" for me. I had a tough time dealing with that piece of info this afternoon.
So anyway, Steve talked to the radiation oncologist on the phone this afternoon. The scans are all in. The overall verdict is that I have the one large tumor in my right kidney. I have 4 tumors (one is fairly large) in my pelvic / hip region on the right side, as well as some bone metastasis (which caused the fracture in my last vertebra). I have a small tumor in my mid-spine, as well as some bone metastasis. Then I have bone metastasis in my left shoulder and a spot of cancer on my skull on the right side.
The main "new" pieces of info here were confirming the spot on my mid-spine, the tumor on my right hip, and the spot on my skull. This didn't make for a happy afternoon. sigh. We don't know what the treatment plan is yet, but there are treatments available - according to Steve and my mom. I guess we will learn more after surgery.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so glad to hear about your healthy brain! There is great hope, Karin. GREAT hope. Combine that hope with the faith of the entire Christian community who loves you, . . . and I believe a miracle is coming.
So will you have to have more surgery on your spine and skull? I know this is hell for you. But on the bright side, I have a cousin who DID have tumors in her brain, and came through surgery beautifully and went back to lawyering after a week!
Post a Comment