Sunday, December 14, 2008

Miracles are possible

Karin is improving! :-o
The doctors think this might not be her time to go!
Karin, the etternal optimist, would say this with a full page of exclaimation marks!

I, though, am filled with fear and doubt. Yesterday we said goodbye and we had some peace about Karin going to a better place, free of pain forever. Today is much harder. Peace more ellisive.

Saving her hands and feet appears impossible - though Karin would interject that yesterday, even being alive today appeared impossible. I don't know if she can bear amputation... What am I saying??!! I am thinking of a Karin that only her family sees and only I fully see - that is terrified of every shadow, every unknown. She has often seen monsters where I saw only shadow. But without fail her unquenchable faith and hope return, and she becomes blind to all but the good.
A normal optimist would say the glass is half full. I have always said that Karin is one that says the glass is all the way full.


And so they are resuming some of the system supportive drug measures they stopped yesterday, and reducing her sedation to see if she is able to show signs of responsiveness and so that they do not do harm by slowing her breathing.

And our vigil continues - with greater uncertainty and less peace, yet giving God the chance to bring Karin home for some period of time, which I know without doubt is what Karin would choose to believe is possible.
I know you will continue the vigil with us.

68 comments:

Katura said...

What great news!!!! :) :) :) Go Karin!!!

Anonymous said...

This roller coaster ride is a tough one. Hang in there, and give God His lead. I pray that Karin will, indeed, represent a full miracle of healing, hands, feet, organs, and cancer included, and those goodbyes will be put on hold for years to come.
~Janine Miller

Anonymous said...

Steve:
This is all so beyond our human understanding...only God know's what this is all about and what ultimate blessed purpose this whole experience will serve. Just know the we are praying continuously and that we love you, Karin and your precious family.
The Peace of God be With You and your Family!
Love,
Marilyn & Tom

Mrs. Munchkin said...

SHUT UP!!! This is amazing! Loom and gloom hung over me al day yesterday. I had to resolve within myself the realty of your post. I kept checking waiting for the final word. And here you are Steve, posting this fabulously wonderful news. God can and does perform miracles. I was on bended knee..now i am bended knees, arms clasped, folded, elbows on the ground,bottom in the air and my eyes are tightly closed praying without ceasing!
Katie Meyer

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news! Praying more for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Steve! I can barely handle this news. I share in your uncertainty and am cautiously optimistic, but I cannot help but hope and belive that our prayers have been heard. Since she entered the ICU, I have cried many, many tears and one of the main causes of my pain has been knowing the loss that her children would suffer without her. Karin would be terrified of the thought of amputation but she would be more terrified at the thought of losing the opportunity to mother your sons and daughter. I am in constant prayer for you as this situation unfolds.
Love,
Leanne

Unknown said...

Nothing is too difficult for our wonderful God!!! Continuing to pray for the "impossible" and for full recovery for Karin. Praying for Holy Spirit peace on you all during this extremely challenging time.
Mary Winslow

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve, I have no words to say that are adequate. I will love you and support you no matter what doors you choose. Praying that God will make your choices abundantly clear. I enjoyed loving karin this morning cutting off bands and moistening her mouth. I will be back later when the crowds thin. My heart aches for the week you've had and the roller coaster ride. Thanks for letting me love your family. Kat

Anonymous said...

Praying for your peace in the midst of the uncertainty.

Cam and Bird's Mom said...

Steve & Family,
I was praying for miracles. God's timing is amazing, and for some reason, yesterday was not Karin's day to go home. We are praying still for Karin and her continuing journey!

Amy Hamlin
Fellow Langson AP

Cam and Bird's Mom said...

Steve & Family,
I was praying for miracles. God's timing is amazing, and for some reason, yesterday was not Karin's day to go home. We are praying still for Karin and her continuing journey!

Amy Hamlin
Fellow Langson AP

Sherri said...

What incredible news!! I was so happy to see this post. May God continue to fill you with His peace and surround all of you with his love. I keep asking everyone I know to pray! Continuing the vigil with you.
Sherri Axtell
AWAA family

Anonymous said...

I can hardly breath. What good news. God is alive and active. He can still heal Karin completely. Praise the Lord. He is faithful.

Karl said...

Wow - unbelievable (but, really, believable considering our God). This is amazing. I have learned many lessons about faith through Karin, and now another...

Karl

CM and JM said...

All I can say is God birthes amazing things and this truly is a joy to read!!! I pray for the peace of God to be clear to you all!!! Ohhh how wonderful it would be for Karin to remain with us.
-Carine

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Elizabeth Bacon

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve & family,
I feel like I am on this roller coaster ride with you. I have been praying and faithfully following this journey with your family through the blog. I have never met you and only met Karin a few times through MOPS but she made quite an impression as we prayed about your adopted babies and other things. Wow...this mornings entry took me quite by surprise. God is such a mystery...so powerful, his ways so incomprehensible and yet I know he is with all of us and especially right there with Karin holding her hand and guiding her through all of this. I know God and all of heaven is smiling as they see the impact that she and your whole family have had and continue to have on so many people. Steve, I can't begin to imagine what you and your family are going through right now but I can only offer what I have....I am praying, I am grieving, I am hoping, I am believing.........
Love and blessings,
Sheri Kohles

Anonymous said...

I am shaking!!!! I have been praying that He would heal her - I kept "reminding" Him that He raised Lazarus and He could raise Karin too!

Hoping beyond hope. Still praying without ceasing!
Amy Sherwin

MGBR said...

Oh, blessed hope!!! Continuing to pray... Much love from the Boltons, Rivers & Tremblays

Anonymous said...

WOW...We do serve an AMAZONG GOD!!! We weill continue to pray for Karins full recovery!!

Lisa C.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Nina, Grant and Walshes and Faulkners,
Please know that you and Karin are in my thoughts and prayers. It's hard to cope with such drastic and rapid changes. I wish you continued strength and endurance, and peace.

Anonymous said...

STEVE!!!!!!!!!!

Again I'm in tears but these tears are DIFFERENT! God is our Father Healer, the Great Physician. I am in AWE! God is sovereign!!

I pray that today you will see your Love smile. I pray that today her eyes will again twinkle as she gazes upon her children.

I know Heaven will be so impossibly amazing that we can't even imagine - but I WANT KARIN TO STAY!!!!

Karin - Fight On, Warrior!!! We want you here!!

Our God is an Awesome God, HE REIGNS!!

Laura

Anonymous said...

God can work miracles and here He is once again showing us.
What an awesome God!

We will continue to pray.

love
Angela and Aaron

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,

As someone else reminded us, Jesus raised the dead and He is alive today to perform miracles again. He IS big enough. We continue to pray His perfect will for Karin.

We pray He also guide you in your decisions ahead and sustains you every minute-His grace is sufficient. Love, Dan and Jan

Jan Young said...

Steve Nina Grant
Our thoughts and prayers are with you on this roller coaster ride. May God grant you the strength to endure yet another situation. Miracles do happen!

From Ecclesiastes:
There is an appointed time for everything, a time for every event under heaven.

Peace be with you all...
Jan & Aubrey

Anonymous said...

Steve,

This all is beyond my understanding. God is mysterious and wonderful! We will continue to pray for you all and for God to give you peace.

Kelley said...

Steve,
We know how hard this rollercoaster ride must be for you. Miracles DO happen, and we will continue to pray for all of you-Karin will go to that better place when she is ready. There is always a reason for everything, and this truly is a miracle. Still praying,
Love
Kelley and Steve

Anonymous said...

i was so glad to see this post from you. i have been praying constantly for healing of karin and peace for your family. it is obviously not karin's time to be with the lord as she has not finished her work here on this earth. we love you guys and will continue to check every couple of hours for some more great news. jaime shaw- fellow AWAA russia family

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I am adopting through AW and was asked to pray for your family...I hope this will encourage you! My brother had the same thing happen to him a few years ago, he had a major infection, pneumonia, and meningitis, as well as some other health problems, and he was allergic to the antibiotics that could save his life...his hands, feet and face lost blood supply and his vital organs had started to shut down...he had black hands and feet and even his face was black!...after much prayer we got a miracle! He is alive and well today, with his hands and feet healed, as well as his handsome face! He is raising his children!
Let's ALL keep praying for Karin's MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beth K.

Anonymous said...

May you who are going through each moment with Karin, those she holds so dear, be given clarity and comfort in the uncertainty. I can only imagine how many people have been changed in a better way by Karin's story over the last few months, not to mention how many lives she touched through her life.

Denise Magnani
MOPS '06

Emily said...

I am praying without ceasing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emily

The Handyman and the Foreman said...

We are praying for Karin and you. I pray God will continue to work a miracle of healing and we are praying for your strength and wisdom. You are not alone, God is with your family and God is amazing.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I am praying like crazy!!! I wish I could convey just how much Karin has meant to me over the years. Our boys and Dennis and I have been on our knees for Karin. They are asking about her all the time.
Much love to your whole family from the Maloufs.
Aubrey Malouf

Anonymous said...

Again, another shock! I saw a "rest in peace" tribute to Karin on facebook and I came back to see if it was true or an assumption.

Miracles happen when you expect them. Keep expecting them Steve. Your faith is just as strong as hers. Your faith in your God and your faith in Karin is enough to keep expecting a miracle around the corner. I know because I can feel it. And I don't even know you.

God bless you and your family.

Unknown said...

When I went to a huge choral society concert last night at a big auditorium at Penn State, there was one beautiful harp sitting on stage. I felt it was a sign that Karin is going to make it. Keep fighting, Karin! We will all keep praying to our awesome God!!!
Love, Joyce Porter

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve & Family,

What incredible news - I hardly know what to think! Truly our God is almighty, all powerful, all knowing... His ways are beyond understanding, but we know that He is always good. I have cried many tears since yesterday, especially thinking of what you & the children would be going through without her. And now, hope appears again! We will be continually praying for you & Karin & your family. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear..." Ps 46:1

His grace & peace to you,
Jennifer Deason

Amanda said...

Wow! I was so pleasantly shocked to read this. I am praying for healing for Karin, wisdom for the doctors caring for her, and strength for you and your family as you stand by Karin's side.
Amanda McQueen,
fellow AWAA family

Anonymous said...

Steve and family:

I really wanted to continue to believe Karin was still fighting and has been all along. With God, we know all things are possible, even the seemingly impossible. The songs/hymns/prayers and presence are being felt by her...not sure if you are reading her these blogs...but she is trying to get back to her family and all those she loves. We must trust in God for all the unknowns that are forthcoming - I continue to pray you are able to take each moment as it comes and continue to ask God to give you wisdom and strength. And we rejoice for the improvement Karin has shown and hold onto hope that there will be more to come.
Stephanie

Joshua Trevino said...

I am shocked and pleased. Just last night I was telling Leanne that predictions of Karin's imminent demise seemed premature: if she's breathing on her own, if the heart is functioning, and if her core and brain are stable, it's not over.

I know we're not out of the woods yet, but keep praying and have hope.

Catherine said...

I have been praying constantly for Karin-asking for a Christmas miracle. Maybe this is it:)

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kevin, Kien, Aria, Nina, Grant and family --

I am a Furman friend of Karin's who has been praying and thinking so much about all of you since September. Karin and I got back in touch around the time Kevin was adopted, and have been "Facebook friends" recently as well. These last several days have been a testimony to the power of love and to the amazing people you are. Reading comments from people all around the world who are praying for all of you, some of whom do not even know you at all, shows the awesome power of God and the love He is blanketing you with even now. You continue to be in my every thought and prayer as you continue on this journey. Karin is a tenacious woman, and God has a wonderful plan for her, and for all of you. Thank you for allowing us all to honor you by praying for you! Jennifer Bruce

Pamela said...

Praising Him!!!! I've been at my mother's house this weekend - without internet access - Aghhh!!! My neice was kind enough to keep checking the blog for me, but John could not drive home fast enough for me to get an update. I continue to pray for our GREAT PHYSICIAN TO HEAL KARIN COMPLETELY AND PRAISING HIM FOR THIS AMAZING MIRACLE!!!

Oh how I pray that Karin will be completely healed and home with her beautiful AMAZING family soon!!

BELIEVING HIM!!!!!!
Pamela (J,A,Z and J too:)

Anonymous said...

After yesterday's post - I had no words - after today's post - still no words but in a different way. Karin has been in my mind and heart and prayers for the past 4 days non-stop. So much so, I had a hard time sleeping one night. Once again - Steve - thank you for thinking of all of "us" during this time and keeping us updated on Karin - I check numerous times a day (as I am sure others do as well) waiting for any news...

Fight on Karin!!!

Jessica Martinez (Rico's mom)

Beth said...

Continuing to pray for whatever miracles our awesome God has in store!

Beth Ballard (fellow AWAA family)

Lisa Ann said...

Wow! That sounds more like the Karin I know and love!!! I was in a daze all day yesterday with unbelief for all that I was reading! As Karin always says: God is Good!!!!

- Lisa Bernard

theglenns556 said...

I have kept my phone with me for the last 48 hours refreshing this blog every 10 minutes. I continue to pray for wisdom for the medical staff and all of you as you care for our dear friend. I can not help but smile as I imagine Karin having the opportunity to read these comments left by so many people who love and care for Karin...and her family. Blogging is such a huge part of her life, and because of her, it is part of many of our lives now. I continue to pray, cry and ask God for divine intervention.

Heather said...

We are praying for you all here in Florida. Go Karin!

Anonymous said...

Dave and I and about 60 college juniors and seniors are still praying in Texas.

Anonymous said...

I pray for your peace and understanding during this time of uncertainty...my heart is breaking...

Christina said...

Karin has been in my thoughts and prayers almost 24/7 the last few days. May God give you all peace and hold you in the palm of His hand.

Noelle said...

I don't know if anyone can know how hard it was for me to leave our eternal vigil (even though it was for me to return to my own family in the mountains). I am aware now more than ever of the everlasting life waiting for Karin, no matter when she achieves that goal. God bless you in all of these hard decisions, Steve. Still hopeful for a miracle, but glad there is a Savior waiting . . .

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you! I do not know Karin personally but came upon your story through a fellow Russian adoptive parent. I brought my son home from Russia around the time you brought your son home. Karin's strength is amazing. God is a wonderful physician. I pray for God to heal her. I pray for Karin to dance with you and your lovely children on this earth. You are a very strong husband and your faith is inspiring. I will continue to pray for your family.

Amanda said...

We are believing for a FULL miracle of complete healing...Keep believing for it Steve.
Simon and Amanda Lawrence

Anonymous said...

Steve,

We are so happy and hopeful to read of Karin's improvements, what a powerful answer to prayer. We continue pray for peace, wisdom, comfort and healing. I had trouble sleeping last night and prayed throughout for Karin - amazing!

Jen

Ruthie said...

Hoping and praying for more great news!
Missy
Fellow Lang Son Adoptive Parent

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are from Spartanburg,SC and play in the First Baptist of Spartanburg's orchestra. One of our members,Jennifer Bruce, is a friend of yours and she just e-mailed us the news and how to blog you all.
We have been praying for you when we meet every Wed.
Miracles DO happen, the Lord has a plan even though we do not know the outcome.
You all are not alone!
Beverly Reed and family

Anonymous said...

I hadn't responded because I could not form the words. I have been crying and praying and praying and crying and begging God not to take Karin from her babies. We have so many people praying for Karin - our entire email list and our church family. We know God is bigger than ANYTHING and He can make Karin whole. So many people love her and your entire family and are lifting you up. Hang in there.

In Christ,
Tammy Burchard

Jeffrey said...

Yesterday was a dark day for so many people, many of whom do not know each other, but all of whom have been blessed by Karin and your family in some way. It seemed that all we had left to say was "praise God, anyway."
And today, such miraculous news! Praise God!!! (exclamation marks ad infinitum)
After sorrowing all day yesterday, I dreaded checking your blog this afternoon when I got home, certain of what I expected to read. And so I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw then news.
Of course it's not over for you all yet. Know that an army of brothers and sisters in Christ stand behind your family in prayer. May you be upheld with the peace of God which passes all understanding--even in these trying times.
God's blessings on Karin, Steve, and the whole family.
Jeffrey (from Furman)

Hi! I am Rachel.... said...

I don't really know Karin, but we are in MOPS together. I wanted your family to know that we too are praying!!! And will continue too....

JEff said...

We are praying for your family.

Anonymous said...

Christine from Furman is praying and happy to see her improvement! Please know people are praying for all of you. The power of prayer is amazing!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine shared your blog with me and even though it made me cry, reading about your wife and her "glass all the way full" made me smile. I know there is nothing anyone can say that will truly change things for you but just know there is an entire bible study group out there praying for you all and I'm pretty sure they will pass your blog along as well. God IS good all the time and will see you through this one way or another.
Have a blessed day!
Tam

The Olsons said...

Steve,

Thank you for your honesty. I am so glad that we don't have to tell God what is best, but we ask, believing/knowing that His Will will be done no matter what.

Continuing to pray for you, Karin and the family.

Dana Olson

Tammy said...

Steve - Once again, I don't know you or your wife personally but rather through a chain of AWAA parents found your blog. I have prayed many times a day for you and Karin and your family. On my way home from a friends last night I found I didn't know how to pray. Had the Father taken Karin home or was she still holding on? I was beyond extatic to hear your news. I know that there will be many ups and downs ahead, but please know that in Kansas I will be praying for you, for Karin and for the children. You have been such a testimony to me in the 5 short days I have been following your blog. Praying healing for Karin and God's peace which surpasses all understanding for you.
In the grip of our Savior.
Tammy

Tammy said...

Steve - Once again, I don't know you or your wife personally but rather through a chain of AWAA parents found your blog. I have prayed many times a day for you and Karin and your family. On my way home from a friends last night I found I didn't know how to pray. Had the Father taken Karin home or was she still holding on? I was beyond extatic to hear your news. I know that there will be many ups and downs ahead, but please know that in Kansas I will be praying for you, for Karin and for the children. You have been such a testimony to me in the 5 short days I have been following your blog. Praying healing for Karin and God's peace which surpasses all understanding for you.
In the grip of our Savior.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Go Karin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
we are still praying for all of you, and hoping for a full recovery...Miracles are possible, praise God!!!!
Alex Freeman ( Brian)

Jeneanne Ericsson Sonoma County Photographer said...

I continue to pray. I am unable to fathum the weight upon your shoulders right now Steve, I pray that God lifts that burden, that you again have peace and that God makes his will abundantly clear. I am late to post a comment because I could not form the words earlier. With my medical knowledge I understand the situation and I also pray that the medical staff are able to support you as you make these decisions. God Bless you all.