Thursday, December 18, 2008

Accommodating Travelers

Many friends and relatives are traveling from across the continent to be present for our celebration of Karin. Local friends want to help in various ways including chauffeuring out of town people to and from the airport or around town and providing guest bedrooms in their homes. If anyone could use this assistance, contact the church office at 919-481-5525 or summit@summit.nc.org.

We are deeply touched by the outpouring of love, support, condolences, and the intent to attend from afar. We are very grateful. These are bittersweet days.

13 comments:

GregW said...

We stayed the night in Birmingham, Alabama and have about 10 hours left to go today. We will see you all soon!
Karin has always liked getting everyone together for gatherings. This is no exception. It takes a special person like Karin to be able to bring so many people from all across North America together. Im excited to see you all and celebrate her life with family and friends this weekend. Travel safe everyone.

Greg Walsh

Anonymous said...

Steve -
I just heard and am so sorry. I went to college with Karin and was her "across the hall" neighbor our freshman year. What a sweet and genuine person! I was always amazed at how truly good and genuine she was. (She was one of the only folks I knew who still sent to church during college - she was so good). I remember when she went to see Amy Grant on concert and was excited to tell her "I'm a FUrman student" and Amy Grant said, "well I hope you like it better than I did!" We all thought that was so funny! And I still think of her evertime my children watch The Little Mermaid b/c it came out the summer before college and Karin really loved it and talked about it alot and had a stuffed "Flounder" she kept on her bed. I have often wondered where Karin went after college. Looks like she had a wonderful life - and you have a beautiful family. Please accept my condolences. I am so sorry. You are in our prayers.
Mandy Powers Norrell

Anonymous said...

I was in Furman Singers with Karin. She was such a lovely person and just amazing on the harp. I was shocked to learn of her illness and passing. I am praying for you and your whole family during this difficult time. May the Lord surround you and your children with His love and goodness both now and always.

Heather Lamb Webb

Anonymous said...

Steve, This is Debbie Slawinski. My husband, Mike, and my daughter, Jade, traveled with you and Karin back in June when we adopted our daughter Joye. I am saddened by the news of Karin's passing. I had no idea she was sick and hadn't heard the wonderful news about Aria's homecoming. I have no words, other than this is so sad. From the short time we knew Karin, I was impressed by her positive, loving spirit, kind heart and strong faith. My sincerest condolences go out to you and your precious children. I will pray for you.

Jeneanne Ericsson Sonoma County Photographer said...

I wish I could be there today. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I was just unable to get the travel arrangements together, and we are leaving Monday for Chicago...I am sure it will be an amazing event full of love and happy remembrances.

Anonymous said...

Dear Walsh and Faulkner family,
I just wanted to thank you for the beautiful worship service and dedication service we witnessed this morning. Even now, I still can't believe I won't walk in Sunday morning and see Karin with Steve and the kids sitting on the left side. You did well to accept God's providence with humility. That is such a fitting tribute to you both. And though you said earlier, Steve, that your faith is not so great...it's that you've made one decision after another.. I dare say, that you've made some pretty awesome ones. And what great parents she had to love her so dearly. I only wish I'd known her better. I trust I'll have all eternity to do so. God bless you all.
Jan Yarborough

Anonymous said...

Steve, Grant, NIna - I am so sorry I was unable to attend yesterday. I went to bed with a heavy heart and woke with the same, realizing that life will have to go on with all the demands of home, children, and work - without Karin. My thoughts are turning toward you constantly, and my prayers toward heaven on your behalf. I know the days ahead will be tough at times. I pray the Lord will give you courage to face each day, and each new challenge, that your physical strength will be enough for every demand placed upon you, and that your mind will be fixed upon Him who is 'more than able' for every situation. Ruth Watts

Cristie said...

I just wanted to extend my condolences and my prayers to your precious family. I am an associate for AWAA (in San Antonio, Texas) and we were let know of Karin's diagnosis some time ago. One of the associates posted recently that Karin was in an urgent need of prayer and since then I have come and checked on her daily - rejoicing in her fight to live and praying for her healing!. I cannot tell you what an amazing man you must be to look to the future with such hope and joy amidst such great loss and sadness. I know that your wife, who seems to have been an amazing Godly woman full of a peace that most will never understand, is smiling down and is full of joy knowing that she has left such a legacy for her children and you. Though her time here has passed, your precious children are right ... Karin is with her maker and is without pain now as she gathers at his throne and rejoices with the angels! I will continue to pray for you and think of you often as I know that the weeks, months and years to come will be filled with times of loneliness and hunger for her touch. May you continue to think of her and know that the Lord is holding her and he's holding YOU! Those of us left here to continue the work can never fully understand the celebration of those who have gone before us. I pray that you will be strengthened by the faith and love of our father and that he can be your rock today and always as you now take on the role of nurturing those babies! I know that HE will show you the way as he knows them, knows Karin and knows their needs!
In his love!
The Martine family
Doug, Cristie, Canyon, Dakota and Maliah

Christy said...

Steve,

I just happened across your blog and can't believe how eerily similar our stories are. My husband passed away from cancer Dec 19th 2005 just six days after the adoption of our son from Ukraine. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Christy
http://lifeafterukraine.blogspot.com/

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Steve,
I just want to thank you for keeping up the posting for at least a little while. You are all so dear to us. We feel we know you well after the years of following your story, praying for your family, learning from you, rejoicing with you, and now grieving with you. Since we can't be there during this time, the posts are a small lifeline, connecting us to others sharing in our grief. I don't know if you ever read the "home from Russia" posts, but there were some beautiful tributes to Karin posted there. I could find a way to get those to you if you'd like. Know people in Alaska are still praying for all of you.
In Him, Frank and Vickie

Anonymous said...

Steve, you don't know me - I'm a stranger from Wisconsin...I just wanted to share how much this blog has touched my heart. I'm a 42 year old Christian mother of one (a daughter, 15). My husband and I are in the process of adopting internationally. I came across your family page while looking for the stories of others who have traveled this path before us. I'm so sorry for your beautiful family's loss of a lovely wife and mother in Karin. I'm inspired by the enduring love you and Karin will always share, your Faith in our wonderful Lord Jesus and the courage you demonstrate -courage that reminds us all that hope can never die. May the love and the grace of our Heavenly Father be an ever present source of comfort to you and to your children.
God Bless you all,
M Ross

Wife of the Pres. said...

I am not sure what to say. I just happened on your blog from another blog I have never visited. It was one of those click, click, click and here I found myself. I have gone back and read about Karin's STRONG FIGHT.
I just wanted to say I am sorry. I will be praying for you all and if you did not mind, I would send a post to the AWAA SN CHINA yahoo group. It is a closed group, but there are some serious prayer warriors on there and I KNOW they would want to be on their knees for your family. Your faith is inspiring and can only come from God. Praise Him for healing Karin and bringing her HOME.
Leslie (AWAA SN CHINA program)