If Karin's organs were to miraculously recover, her fingers and toes would need an even greater miracle. They are far gone and getting worse. People can recover from and learn to live with such major loss of function, but it is a very hard and painful rehabilitation. Karin would be adding the pain and horror of loosing those to the pain she has already been living with that makes it painful to sit or stand for long, and sometimes even painful to lay in bed - despite high doses of pain killers she was already on, she has needed to shift constantly to stay out of pain. Shifting was difficult due to the sharp pains she has in her left shoulder. Imagine being in pain and immobile because her hands and feet are so painful. And after the pain and horror of loosing her fingers and toes, while enduring the current cancer pain, then she would have increasing cancer pain to endure.
Sorry for the graphic image, but this is what Karin and our family will face if she recovers only partially - if she merely survives.
This would be a living hell - more than I would wish on the worst person live.
Please pray for Karin to suffer no more pain - either due to the miracle of *complete* recovery, or else the mercy and joy of Karin going home to our heavenly Father.
The feable attemps that we as men can make to hold off death have been stopped. It is in God's hands now and I pray only the He is merciful.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
55 comments:
Oh Steve!
We are so sorry for all the pain and suffering you ALL are facing. We know how hard this has got to be for you. We are praying that Karin will soon be out of pain, and whatever God's plan is for, that he makes it clear to your family soon, so there can be peace throughout.
Love
Kelley and Steve
LS parents, Vietnam travel partners
Steve and family,
I can't imagine what pain you are in right now. Will pray as you asked, that God will bring Karin complete healing through whichever path He knows is best. May He grant you peace as you continue to trust Him with Karin's life.
Cindy A
Steve,
Thanks for letting us know your prayer needs. Karin is a child of God and he knows the plans for her. I will be praying for these things. You and your family are in our thoughts and we wish great peace and comfort through the days ahead.
Amy Hamlin
Fellow LS AP
I am soooo relieved to read this. What you have just said is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about for the past day, and I have been praying that either I was missunderstanding the situation or that it would become clear that the suffering involved in amputation and the further hurdles it would envolve would not happen. I KNOW this is the RIGHT thing Steve, I KNOW it. And please take comfort in knowing that this is the right thing and that Karin can be without pain from now until she is with Jesus.
Steve,
This decision is one of complete selflessness....you don't want to see the love of your life hurting and in pain. What a gift. We will pray that God's will be done...as painful for YOU as that will be....
As Karin and I have always been kindred spirits, Steve, this has already been my prayer. I will continue . . . .
Steve, am praying for as you have asked...also praying for you and the family for strength and peace during this time. ELizabeth Bacon
Steve, I don't know you or your family. The blog link was passed through a small group at our church last week, pleading for prayer. I have read much of the blog, and all of the past week's entries.
Despite not knowing you (or even where you are) makes no difference. I continue to check for updates often, and continue to lift your family in prayer to the God of grace and mercy. I cannot begin to comprehend the anguish at this time. But, as believers we are assured that the Lord will provide the grace needed to pass through these most difficult of times.
Know that there is a network of other believers out there in prayer. I raised your situation to our Bible class yesterday as well, so the network is getting wider.
May the Lord be close to you and family at during these days.
Roger (McMurray,PA)
Steve,
Hold fast to the knowledge that God is good, He is sovereign, and He loves you, Karin, and your family. May he bless you and strengthen you.
Beyond that, words fail me. Prayers don't, so I'll stick with them.
Jeffrey
Steve: Don and I are praying that God brings all of you peace and great comfort. We also wish to send you, Nina and Grant extra strength so that your children can feel our support and love.
Always,
Don and Marianne Whitehead
Burlington
Steve, I join you in prayer for Karin to no longer be in pain--in whatever way God chooses for that to happen. Your love for Karin and selflessness are awe-inspiring. Thank you for being honest, even when it is painful and not what we, her friends, necessarily want to hear. I pray that the proverbial rock and hard place will vanish and that God will work quickly. I know the decisions you are making are agonizing, so please be comforted that your and Karin's friends support you 100%. I am proud to call you my friend by association and pray that you continue to have the strength and courage you need during this time. Thank you again for keeping us updated and know that people across the globe are praying for your family.
I'm with Jeff - I can't come up with the right thing to say, so I will keep praying. Whatever decision you make will be the right one, because God will guide and comfort you.
You are surrounded by people who care for you and a God who loves all of us - that is the only thing providing me peace right now about your situation.
Take care of yourself
Karl
Steve, again I do not Karin personally, but having followed her blog for several weeks, you are constantly in my mind and prayers. I am hoping that you will receive the miracle needed to bring Karin back to health and quality of life, no matter how long that may last. I can only say that our family received such a miracle in 2001 when my then 10 year old granddaughter suffered both heart and lung failure. We had returned her to her home with the help of hospice to share what remained of her time with loved ones. Due to the miracle we received she is now a vivacious healthy 18 year old attending her last year of high school and looking forward to college. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and it was not her time to go home. We were very thankful and I am hoping that such a miracle happens for Karin in the next hours/days. Bless all those that are keeping vigil with you during a time when you have to be on a roller coaster of emotions. Based on the responses to the blog entries, you have a huge world wide network of support. Bless all those that are providing that support/prayers for Karin. I will be thinking of you and checking back for progress reports, which I am praying will remain positive.
A caring stranger.
Steve -
Karin and I were friends at Mary I. Thank you for making such tremendous efforts to keep us all informed during these troubled times. Karin has always been a wonderful and caring person and I am lucky for having known her. I pray that God will shower His mercies, blessings, guidance and protection over you and your family and may He give you patience and keep Karin safe and happy, whether she is with us here or in a better place. He knows what we know not. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Sarah Ahmad
Steve, I know this was a difficult decision for you and Nina and Grant. I pray for you all continuously. I pray for Karin to have peace, whether she recover or whether she return home to our Father. We are all in His loving hands.
Leanne
Derest Steve,
We join you in crying out to the Lord for mercy for you all and Dear Karin. Yes, total healing would be the answer we long for, but if that is not the Lord's answer, then may He give her mercy and a death that will end the suffering of all who love her and take her to a place of endless joy.
Praying with and for you all,
Dan and Jan
Steve,
We continue to pray for you and the kids. Together we have cried and mourned for Karin and all that she has endured. It is bittersweet to let her go and yet we are so thankful to know that she is in the hands of our Savior. We have been so blessed by our friendship with you both and I have so enjoyed our long distance blogs and chats over motherhood recently. Karin is an inspiration to me as a mother and a wife and our marriage has been so blessed by the examples that you both led as some of our first married friends. We are without words to offer as you walk through this journey but prayers abound.
With all of our love,
Anthony & Siana Hunt
Honolulu, HI
Oh Steve, You have displayed so much love and courage to your princess. May God grant you peace with the loving and agonizing decisions you have been faced with. You have been such a gift to your bride. Dear Jesus, please grant Karin an end to her suffering. Kathy
Steve, you don't know me, but I'm a former grad school classmate of Karin's from USC's MIBS program. I have been praying for you all, consistently and fervently, for a miraculous complete recovery and relief from pain for Karin, peace and grace for you and your families and wisdom for her doctors. It's so hard to even know what to say, but I am comforted knowing that God doesn't need to hear my words. He knows all your needs and in his hands you rest. God bless you all during this time.
"We sorrow not as those who have no hope."
Dear Father, our Karin is ready to come to you. Please be merciful and welcome her into your presence.
We pray in the strong name of the Christ.
Karin's Dad
You are right, and I have felt God tell me He that He longs to show His mercy. I am certain it will be either in her release of earthly bonds, or her physical healing, and He will not suffer her to live in pain. I agree with you in prayer, the way you have asked. The suffering you and all closest to her are feeling is also God's concern in this. I pray for you all, too, for God to meet each of you at your point of need in a very personal and comforting way. ~Janine Miller
Steve and family,
Our thoughts and prayers have been with Karin and all of you through this entire ordeal. I'm so sorry that the situation now is so agonizing. On Saturday night, our family saw the most beautiful, large, harvest moon. It looked like it was right over the hospital where Karin now is (we live in Cary too.). It was beautiful, and I felt God's presence with Karin, you, the kids, your families, and with all of us. My prayer is that even now, Karin can feel God's peace and presence with her, and that you can too as you continue to walk on this journey with her.
Kimberly Taylor
I pray that the Lord's will be done and that His light and love shine upon you and give you peace and peace to our dear Karin. She will be welcomed by the most glorious angels and music and love. We will all be comforted knowing that she is in a better place and as my 5 year old said, she will always live in our hearts.
Your will be done Lord.
Amen.
Heather
Steve,
I have no words and echo the sentiment of all who have posted comments. Please tell us how the children are. How is Kevin holding up? Is he aware of the situation? How can we pray for the children, specifically Kevin, who is such a bright child to figure some of this out. Has Greg been able to make the trip and be with the family? Can you also tell us the exact name of the kidney cancer Karin was diagnosed with? I couldn't find it anywhere. Praying with you.
Katie Meyer
Steve and family,
We have been praying for you all. We miss you guys and wish we could be there to offer our support. Since we can not, we keep you in our daily prayers knowing how hard this must be on all of you.
Michelle, Rob and Caleb Ellis-Hutchings
Steve - I agree with you in prayer that the Father will bring an end to Karin's suffering however he sees fit. Please know that you, the children and her family and friends are being lifted and covered in prayer. The Father's plans are for hope and a future - and you all are very much in his hands. I will continue to lift you all up in prayer as you have asked. You have shown an immense strength and selflessness and you're all a testimony of trust in our God. Hold fast to the hand of our savior. Tammy
We don't know you personally but wanted you to know that our family is praying for your family. God is good, all the time. Praying for peace.
Todd and Vicki Shackelford
Houston, TX
Steve,
I, like so many others who have posted here, find myself speechless in the face of such pure love - a love that wishes for an end to the beloved's suffering, even if that means she cannot stay here. I simply can't imagine what you and Karin's parents must be going through as you make these agonizing decisions, but I wish to echo all those who have said that you have the unfailing support of Karin's friends, who trust you above anyone else to do what is best for Karin. I continue to pray for strength and peace for you and the rest of Karin's family to face whatever lies ahead.
Leanna (a Furman friend)
You don't know me, but I have been following your blog over the past week, having heard about it on our AWAA ethiopia group.
Karin is in our prayers, that God will grant her mercy, peace, and freedom from pain.
And for you, Steve, that God will uphold you, showing you His mercy and love.
We don't understand why, but pray that you and your family will be able to rest fully in the faithfulness of our Father, who does nothing that is not for our good and His glory.
Sarah Moffatt
Steve,
Thank you for keeping this blog going to help us understand even a little bit of what is happening. Know that our prayers are with you, Karin, the children and Grant, Nina and Greg.
Jim and Patty Love
Steve, nothing I could say could add to the beautiful words and sentiments already expressed above. I read through my tears - and lift you in prayer... as we all wait...Ruth Watts
My prayers are with your family Steve.
Steve and Family,
Karin and your family are so precious to me. My heart is so heavy but I rest that God truly is in control. You are all in my prayers. You guys will never know what you meant to our family. You completed the adoption of Kevin about 6 mos. prior to us bringing home our precious son from Russia. Karin made the trip so much easier for us with all her advise and tips and PRAYER. We've followed your Vietnamese adoption journey and now this tragedy. Even though we are miles apart, please accept a big hug and lots of prayers from our family and know that God is holding you close during this time.
In Christ,
The Medlocks
Steve,
I just want to tell you "Thank you". Thank you for letting us know what is going on...Karin is always on my mind and in my heart. Thank you for being such a loving, devoted husband....I can only pray that mine would be so brave, strong, and faithful if I were in Karin's place. And thank you for allowing God's will to be done. As always, all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Megan
Kling to our Savior, our Comforter in times of need. He DOES hear you and knows the strife. Lay it all before Him and bask in His love. Thank you for sharing in this ever personal journey for you and family have no idea of the lives you have touched with your abiding faith. My heart is saddended yet constantly lifting you, family, and most of all Karin in prayer. Wishing you His healing.
Rebecca (Furman friend in FL)
Thank you for the update. I pray for God's will in your lives.
Dear Steve,
We have been praying for God's mercy for Karin and His peace for you and all involved, and will certainly continue. I am so thankful for the loving, selfless, Godly husband you have been to Karin. May you feel the presence of the Lord clearly and intimately as He carries you through this agonizing situation.
His grace to you,
Jennifer Deason
Steve,
My heart just breaks for you and your family. I went to highschool with Karin, and am so sad to hear she is suffering.You are so right, no one deserves that kind of pain. I have asked my church to pray for God's mercy on her, however He see fit. We will also pray for you, your beautiful children, and Karin's parents that you all may find peace through all of this. How brave you have been to provide these updates.
Lucy
Steve,
I'm so sorry that you're going through this emotional rollercoaster. Your love for Karin jumps off the page, and I can feel your sadness for her situation. I'll continue to pray for your family and that God has mercy on Karin in whatever he decides to do.
Steve,
Your wisdom, gentleness and love for Karin are an inspiration to all of us on the other side of these "screens." You leave no doubt that you are allowing our gracious Father to work through you in this incredibly tragic time. You and Karin are on my heart constantly - I can only cling to the knowledge that our God is good and that He has something so much better for our friend.
Praying for your peace and comfort; praying for a merciful Homegoing for Karin.
With love,
Meghan
We offer continued prayers for your family...
Missy
Fellow LS Adoptive Parent
Steve- I only met Karen once at a MOPS meeting but I could tell right away what a strong woman she is. Please know you and your family are being touched by prayers from more places than you can imagine! God will end her suffering as he sees fit and we will all be grateful for her eventual peace! Your strength is a testament to how pure love can be! God bLess you and your family!!!
Lisa Stevens (MOPS Mom)
This seems like widsom to me. Yes, God have mercy...
Steve Nina Grant
Karen's story is a journey of love, courage, hope and suffering expressed from her heart. She is a young woman of faith that has fought a valiant battle to overcome her illness.
Her blogs have inspired the readers to the noblest of values. She has done her work here on earth and made it a better place.
Aubrey and I as parents cannot comprehend what the family is enduring at this time.
God take Karin into your loving arms.
Karin has a wonderful spirit...give her wings.
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL ANGEL!!!!
God bless and help you all.
Also the three little kiddo's as she referred to them.
It is amazing to me how MANY people care so very much about Karin and you, Steve, and the children. Where there are no words, there is prayer. None of us know how to pray -- and we must say "He is God and I am not." How it hurts, though, Lord!
Please, please, keep us updated as to how we can be of service. There is no need to be in want of a meal, a babysitter or a shoulder when so many are ready to help in a practical way.
Thank you so very much for the updates (thanks, Karin!) so that we could emotionally share.
Cathy Berger (Luke's mommy)
Steve,
There is nothing like the community of believers in our times of joy and sadness. The faithful prayers of your friends are a wonderful tribute to you and Karin. You have been loyal and faithful friends for so many. We are praying without ceasing for God's will to be done. God's peace sustain you all now and in the days to come. Also, may the Spirit of Jesus guard the hearts and minds of Kevin, Kien,and Aria.
"Uncle" Paul and "Aunt" Anne.
(Lifelong friends of the Walsh family.)
Steve, Karin, your precious children, amazing in-laws (and other family members I don't know), may you know Christ's love, as "nothing...will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." We love you, the Hobbles
Our hearts break for your family and we pray for the peace that only God can give. He is able.
The Snively's
We are praying for peace for Karin and you and your entire family.
May God give you peace.
love
Angela and Aaron
Steve and family:
We continue to keep you in our prayers. Thank you so much for continuing to keep us posted and for being transparent during a challenging time. We can only imagine the emotions you are wrestling with at this time...and we continue to pray for God to give you strength and wisdom. We additionally pray that God is merciful in his plans for Karin.
Stephanie and Jon Sjoblad
I have a constant ache inside of me. I just can't grasp that this is happening. I want so badly to check the blog and it say "I'm all better! I'm back!" Karin is such a light in this world. I just don't know how to pray, to keep her or let her go. I want her healed. And I realize that one way of healing is to go to Heaven. But my human self starts saying "but what about the children? What about Steve?" and I start asking all of those questions and God is silent. God is sovereign, I believe with all my heart, but when He is silent it can be so hard. My heart is breaking for you all, in every possible situation, I'm lifting you up in prayer.
Laura
Laura's words (above) are also mine.
I cannot imagine how emotionally exhausted you all must be; I am emotionally exhausted and Karin is not my mother, daughter, or spouse.
When there are no words, there is still prayer. And I am still praying without ceasing. For all of you. I am so sorry you all are going through this. Very very sorry.
I can't stop singing this song...
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.
We will wait upon the Lord.
We will wait upon the Lord.
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.
We will wait upon the Lord.
We will wait upon the Lord.
Our God, you reign forever.
Our hope, our strong deliverer.
You are the everlasting God.
The everlasting God.
You do not faint, you won't grow weary.
You're the defender of the weak.
You comfort those in need.
You lift us up on wings like eagles....
May your strength rise.
Amy Sherwin
I join you, Steve, all those who commented above, and so many more who have not commented but are praying without ceasing, and I pray for mercy and peace.
Steve,
I posted on another of your updates about knowing Karin from one of the first Vietnam adoption groups. I just learned of Karin's illness, and I have been checking the blog several, several times a day now. I keep praying and hoping for a miracle to happen, and for your family's pain to be eased.
There are people all over this country, of different faiths and beliefs, praying and thinking of you and your family. It's absolutely awe-inspiring, and even though I didn't know Karin well, I have a feeling she would be so proud to know that we all came together like this.
God bless, and know I am thinking of you all.
Om mani padme hum....a little Buddhism can't hurt.
~ Michelle Zadra
Praying for strength and God's mercy for you and your family. He will not leave you.
The Gividens in CA
AWAA Family
Post a Comment