The care we have received from our dear friends this past week has been incredible!! And it has been soooo needed. I cannot imagine getting through this week without our friends - especially Pam Slice - the only person I know who's gift of organization comes close to my dear Karin - who coordinated so many other friends to provide support for Heather in caring for the kids during the day as well as night and weekend care so we could be at the hospital. And thanks to all that brought meals - our fridge and freezer are stuffed!! :-) And thank you to all who joined our vigil, at the hospital and online!! Your support has been immense beyond words! Seeing and remembering all those that Karin touched has been a great source of comfort to me in some way I cannot explain. Certainly it does nothing to decrease the great loss in my life, but I am so proud of her, and proud to have supported her in the Love she has given to so many, and proud to be her chosen one and best friend these past 10 years.
Tuesday we talked to a family that had only days notice at the hinting of loosing a mother of 37, and though Karin's passing was shockingly quick in the final week, I am so thankful to have had three months to wrestle with this day coming soon.
Karin was always such a positive person, always choosing to believe the most positive in all situations, that I suspect that many who read this blog faithfully had no idea of the seriousness of her diagnosis/prognosis. The type of Karin's cancer is rarely curred (advanced renal cell carcinoma) and in the very advanced stage of hers, is 'incurable'. There was the potential of slowing down or stopping the cancer spread with treatment, and Karin chose focus on God's possibilities not man's limitations, to the degree that she never wanted to admit how serious it was - not wanting the doubt and negative focus that would result I suppose. She did admit to me (on very rare and brief occasions) that her early death was possible, but we thought it was at least a year away, or at least 6 months.
As this chapter of my life closes, I continue to rejoice in Karin's life and good fortune (to be with God), and I continue to be at peace with the need to boldly set forth on a new adventure. It won't be easy - good adventures never are! But great things will come of it, and that is life - well lived! Glory to God.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
So beautifully stated, Steve, as always.
I had hoped/prayed/expected that she would have at least 2 years with the clinical trial. Early in October, Karin was depressed and expressed that she had nothing to look forward to. I told her, "You have Halloween! You have to get costumes for the kids! Then Aria will come home sometime. There is Thanksgiving and Christmas. You have to buy the kids' Christmas gifts!"
She responded, "Will I live until Christmas?"
"Oh, yes! You will live until Christmas." Those words have haunted me this past week. I promised her she would live until Christmas. But she was prepared! The gifts are all bought! Some are tucked away while the mound of boxes at the front door grows daily!
In spite of her honesty in telling about her physical ailments, no one comprehends the pain she has endured for months, especially the past four months. Praise God, she is now pain free! We are the ones in pain.
I will join you in thanking Pam! And I'm just SO thankful and proud of Karin for staying positive and FAITHFUL until the end! What a friend I have in Karin, the new Princess of Heaven!
I'm so thankful that God is, and has been so evidently sustaining you, holding you through all of this. And, Karin's attitude and focus through her illness were truly an inspiration to me, and I know to many others. We will be praying that God will enable you and all of us to focus on the positive, as Karin would have, even through the pain. To God be the glory!
Blessings,
Jennifer
I still come to read the latest, and I still shed tears, but it sounds like you are handling it well and helping Kevin, which is good news. Validating his feelings is the right thing to do--you're a good daddy. The fact that you still are blogging and talking about this whole situation, and sharing your heart, is good. Please continue as long as you need to. I am sure people will keep checking in on you. It is normal to have ups and downs, too, as you grieve, and does not mean your faith is weak, so if you have hard days, take them one at a time and you will get through. It's just all part of the process. You may know this, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded. Bless you.
~Janine Miller
We will be having a small informal memorial tomorrow for Karin in St. Louis at Webster Hills United Methodist Church, the church we grew up in. We will celebrate her life; through the years,she has touched many of our lives and this will be a time to share our memories of Karin and a time to pray for her family. We welcome anyone who can attend who was not able to be in North Carolina.
Friday, December 19, 2008
2:00 pm
Webester Hills United Methodist Church
Chapel
698 W Lockwood
Webester Groves, MO 63119
If you need to contact me for further information, I can be reached at 573.747.1861 or melwebber22@yahoo.com
We love you all,
Melissa Webber
Melissa, Janis S. told me about this. I am so moved that Karin's St. Louis friends are gathering in her honor to pray. She played her harp many times in that chapel! Today, she is playing in God's orchestra. God bless you all!
Love,
Nina,
I hope your words do not continue to haunt you. You said and had to believe what Karin needed to hear and believe at the time to continue to live life to it's fullest! I know I shouldn't be surprised with how organized Karin was that the presents were already ordered. I had so hoped that was the case so that your family would not have the added stress of trying to get the gifts together now.
Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to relate how Kevin is handling this. It is certainly going to continue to be tough times for your entire family. Please know that your family will continue to be covered in prayer.
Amanda McQueen
fellow AWAA parent
steve and family, we are not sure we will be able to make it on friday but please know we love you guys and are thinking of you constantly. all of my friends and patients and coworkers have you all in their prayer also. they aske me when i see them for their dialysis appts. have i heard any more and I share what i read on the blog. god bless and we will keep checking in on each and everyone of you. jaime shaw0 greensboro, nc
Steve and family,
What a blessing to hear of the new nanny who have been watching the children and that Kevin is doing better. Being a nurse and mommy myself, I have been touched by your family more than you could know. I will continue to pray for your family and that Karin's spirit will surround you with joy and comfort and that she is a special guardian angel for all of you.
Blessings,
Rebecca (Furman friend in FL)
Post a Comment