I had a really great weekend in multiple ways. First of all, my cousin Vanessa came to visit me for the weekend from Canada!! :) We don't get to see each other very often (she was even "Matron of Honor" in our wedding), so this was an extra special treat and I'm so grateful that she made the trip to spend time with me during this emotional and difficult time. Her mom was here last weekend for my birthday celebration. :)So the weekend was filled with chatting with Vanessa on my bed and me taking occasional naps. I have definitely discovered that my bed is the most comfortable place for me to sit. I do have a most comfortable chair downstairs, but after a little bit, I start to get in pain from sitting there. So the bed does work best. I guess the new Sleep Number mattress we bought this summer paid off! ;)
I did go downstairs a few times. And one time, after Vanessa and I had been talking for quite awhile, we headed downstairs -- and I took 2 steps before realizing what I was doing!!! I totally forgot that I need Steve's help to get down the stairs! ;) But we decided to just have Vanessa walk directly in front of me, and I was able to make it down alone, by just holding the rail! :) Coming upstairs is more difficult, and I usually start to feel the strain by the last couple steps. So I've been avoiding going up and down as often in the past few days, as I just need to rest and recover.
Also, I've been surprising myself by being able to do some minor things with my left arm!!! I can't move it very much yet, but it is definitely improving!!! Praise God!!!!!! :) :) :)
I want to point out that in the photo above, there is a medal hanging from the picture on the wall next to our bed. Vanessa delivered that medal to me this weekend (from my dad). The medal is a gift to me from a woman who has worked for my dad for several years and has become a friend of the family. It is a 2008 Boston Marathon medal. In her card, she wrote, "I would like to give you my Boston medal in recognition of your courage, strength and determination as you fight this disease. You deserve this medal more than I." Wow. I feel so honored and touched that she would give this to me. Thank you!!
Vanessa and Kevin had lots of fun playing pirates and other exciting things. ;) My sleep also improved this weekend!! On Saturday night, I slept for 3 hours straight!! Then for another 3 hours straight after that!! I hope that this pattern continues.
I also discovered this morning that I have lost about 10 lbs in the past month. On the one hand, I'm happy to have lost 10 lbs! I wanted to anyway. ;) But on the other hand, that's a lot...and certainly not how I wanted to lose it.
On Monday morning, I am going back to my new oncologist for my second appointment. It will begin with a blood test. Then I'm not sure what else will happen. I will admit though that I am nervous. Thanks for the prayers!!
3 comments:
hey there family! had such a great time with you all. loved our chats, karin, and my time with the boys (steve included) and aunt nina. it was so nice to be in your home, see the city where you live, walk on your forest trail and play pirates on your sun porch. i am praying for you right now as you prepare for this next appointment. a few more of these sessions and it won't be long until the cousin i know who used to faint at the mere IDEA of blood will be able to watch her own blood be drawn :) okay, maybe that's going a little too far...
much love. peace,
vanessa xox
This is so funny to see both Karin and Vanessa wearing pink! Karin is a pink girl, and Vanessa has always been anti-pink. Karin would have had her bridesmaids in pink, but, with Vanessa as Matron of Honor, they wore champagne. Now Vanessa is the mother of three boys and is their family's pink promoter!
How did Monday go, Kariin?
You are in my prayers.
Love,
Jeanie
Post a Comment