Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oncologist Appt

We had my oncologist appointment this afternoon. Again, Steve and my dad went with me. My mom stayed home with the boys.

The oncologist was a very sweet woman at time. That part was true. But wow....it was far from what we expected. However, Steve has now informed me that he and my parents may have all known ahead of time (due to some research) that this was more serious than any of us had realized. It was an awful afternoon. I can't even write much about it now. I am 34 years old, and the oncologist just described my cancer as being "advanced." And she talked about areas of concern of where it could move....areas which are quite scary.

So now in addition to the 2 CT scans and bone scan tomorrow morning... I will be seeing a radiologist to talk about radiation therapy. Then the urologist again a couple hours later.

Then Friday, I have another MRI. And on Monday, I have 2 more MRI's. Then things will probably move very fast into radiation or surgery.

But what was made clear today is that this is only the beginning. It's going to be a big battle. My hopes of this being a smaller scale battle flew out the window this afternoon. As the doctor said, it is treatable, but it is not cureable.

I can't believe I'm even able to write this much right now. I was sobbing and sobbing at the doctor's office. They even brought in a social worker to talk to me and gave me half an anti-anxiety pill on the spot. So either that pill or our God is giving me the strength to be able to type right now.

On our way home, I asked Steve to call a friend to have her pick up Kevin, feed him dinner, and have him play with their kids for the evening. I didn't want Kevin to witness the emotion in our home this evening. And I knew I couldn't deal with facing my mother when my dad told her the summary of our visit. I was already nauseous from all my crying and needed to take care of myself. I made a point of being the one to tell Kevin that he was going over to his friends' house to play and eat dinner. He cried!! But in the end, he was ok, and he brought along his gankie and 2 stuffed animals. Steve and I headed upstairs to be alone - and for me to try to cut the pain. I was overdue on my narcotics, plus the stress had really worked me up and hurt my muscles and nerves. After a warm bath and some narcotics, I'm coping again. Now my parents are at the drugstore getting 3 new prescriptions for me - 2 pain meds (one is stronger than the narcotics - ugh) and valium. Now I also need an over-the-counter med to counter some of the side effects of one of the pain meds. So it freaks me out to see the quantity of pills increasing already.

By the way, after all my bawling, a nurse came in and said they realized they should do a simple blood test today before my tests tomorrow. You've got to be kidding me!!! I actually had to say no. I had been crying so much, I was in so much pain, and I felt nauseous from what all had just happened. I think they can save one more needle for tomorrow. And they did agree to do that. I am not a super hero.

Some friends from church have assembled a prayer night for me at church tonight at 7:30pm. Praise God for that!!!!

Thank you ALL for your prayers and encouragement!!!!!!! I'm so glad already that I set up this blog to communicate with everyone. And it really is so therapeutic to me to be writing like this.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, Karin I'm so sorry you are going through all this. Please know that we are prayiing and thinking about you and your family. my hearth aches from reading your story. God will help you be brave for all the things that are coming your way. I don't like needles anyway so I tell them to don't tell me what they are doing and just tell me when they are done, plus I don't look...hope that hepls..
we love you,
Alex

james said...

Karin,
Anna and I have been thinking, praying and talking about you for the past few days. Comforting words fail me. But just know we love you.
James

Noelle said...

Oh Karin, my heart is aching for you! How I wish I had read this post soon enough to go to the prayer meeting! God will give you strength tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Karin...may the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord cause His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and GIVE YOU PEACE.

Amanda said...

Karin,
I just got home from church (where I asked the others in my class to keep you in their prayers) and came to check how the oncologist appt went. I am so sad that you are dealing with this. I am glad they gave you something and a prescription for valium. I think it would take the whole bottle of valium for me to deal with what you are now. You are a very strong and brave woman! I'll be praying for you as you begin this battle.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'm tryung again, Karin. I won't write much because I am not sure this will work.
It was a blessing to pray with everyone tonight. I felt the Lord's presence in that place.
Love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Karin,
We continue to pray and pray hard for you - please know how much you are loved and cared for - you are so brave - keep it up!
Love,
Heather LaRock (Heinemeyer)

dawn said...

Karin,
I am so amazed by the courage you have to share all of this and the privilege you have granted all of us by asking for our prayers!! I pray that God will increase your strength as it is needed. I can tell that he is doing so already and am reminded that he promises not to give us more than we (through him) can handle.
Big hugs and love,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin,
I have so much that I would like to say to you, but I find that I don't have the right words. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And please remember that God will never foresake you! HE is with you every moment of every day, and HE does hear our prayers!
Much love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

Dear Karin,
It was such a privilege to pray with you tonight. Remember that nothing is impossible for God. We truly believe that the Lord will do an amazing miracle in your life, Karin. Keep your eyes fixed on Him, hold on tight to His Hand. Robert, Brian and I are constantly praying for you.
"But I trust in you, O Lord:
I say, You are my God. Psalm. 31:14
We love you, Robert, Brian and Terri

Anonymous said...

Karin, remember your Wonder Woman Underoos? Well, you ARE Wonder Woman! You think you aren't brave, but you are very brave. You are going to face this with trepidation, for sure, but with a steadfastness of heart to BEAT it! You CAN do it!
When you can't endure something (such as the blood test) that was brave to say, "No! Not now."

Emily said...

Karin and family, please know my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish I lived closer and could help you out. I have put you on my church's prayer line (Dunwoody UMC), so please know you have some good Methodists in Atlanta praying for you, as well.

Anonymous said...

Karen,
My daughter-in-law, Heather Willis Allen, sent me the link to your blog and I have read your story, so far. My prayer group and I are praying for a change in the direction of your story, and for complete healing for you. We believe the Lord can move mountains and heal cancer. I also pray for comfort for this day and strength to relate to your children. The Lord is good!

Cecile Allen

Anonymous said...

Karin,

I was sent your blog by a family friend who ask us to keep you in our prayers. Having read your story and seeing your heart, my heart breaks for you. I know that there are things within your heart that only God knows and I pray that every fear you have be taken from you. I pray that God will give you and your family His peace during this time.
As hard as it may be remember God never gives us more than we can handle. I know I have been on the edge and God has always brought me back. May God keep and bless you and give you His power to get through this time.

A Christian mother in prayer for you and your family

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you have to go through this kind of cancer and having to lay down in some thing. I know that God will help you get through this. He will take the pain away.


Luke