Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back to the Urologist

Then we rushed back to the urologist, which we were late for as well. We brought the CT scans and the bone scan with us. Then he had us sit for awhile while he reviewed them all. I was quite nervous. It was time to hear more results, and he had proven yesterday that he isn't the best at being informative or at presentation either. But we have heard repeatedly since yesterday that he is a great surgeon (and everyone seems to agree on the lack of communication - but that's ok! We'd rather he be a good surgeon! ;) ).

He was not very informative at all, but we were prepared for that. In fact, we didn't really want him to be the one imparting much overall knowledge. He is very focused on that kidney and doesn't have much to say on the rest, as that is just not his area. But he did make some comment about things spreading to my bones and that we already knew about the pelvic area, but that there is something on the bone scan in my shoulder area as well. He didn't say anything further, and we didn't ask. We will wait for the full scoop from the radiation oncologist tomorrow. But it sounds like it is confirmed that my severe left arm pain is in fact caused by yet another tumor. But I do feel much more confident now that radiation is going to help me!! That is my prayer. I imagine we will discuss any other areas outside my pelvic region tomorrow at that appointment.

So....the very good news is that the urologist can remove my kidney!!!! I didn't mention yesterday that there was some question of that after our meeting with him, and it had me rather freaked out. He wanted to be sure that things surrounding the kidney were clear of tumors. And they are!!!! Praise God!!!! And my liver is tumor free as well!!!!! :) Alleluia!!!! So he can remove the right kidney. And one of the few sentences he uttered was that he is going to do it next Friday. Wow. By the way, it was also discussed yesterday that sometimes when the "mother tumor" is removed, it helps kill off all the other ones. So although I have 2 kidneys and this one is probably already useless, it is still important to get the kidney out.

I did step in at this point and question him though. My doctors were supposed to all communicate with each other at the end of the day. In addition to surgery, radiation is also important. The oncologist yesterday was very concerned that I have 2 pinched nerves and that nerve damage could be happening. I have been having numbness in my left foot this week and shooting pains down my left leg for a couple weeks. So she wants those pelvic tumors to be radiated. But they can't be radiated while I'm having surgery. And I had asked the radiation oncologist today if there could be a pause during the radiation process for surgery, and he said probably not. So when the urologist said surgery in a week, I was concerned that radiation couldn't begin for at least 2 weeks. I'm glad I spoke up. So he then went to call the radiation oncologist and was able to speak to him before the day ended.

When the urologist came back, he said that I will begin radiation tomorrow morning. Wow. I will get my tattoos and begin radiation. Then I will have treatment each day next week until my surgery next Friday, September 19. I will be in the hospital (the most local one - but I'm keeping names off the blog, since this is public) for 4-5 days. sigh. And when I get out, I go back to radiation to complete the treatment. Apparently this isn't much of a concern, since my hospital stay goes over a weekend, and I won't get radiation on weekends anyway. So I actually left the office today HAPPY that I begin radiation tomorrow and will have surgery a week from tomorrow. I'm happy about these things???? ;) Well, yes, because they are going to heal me!!!! Or rather, God is going to use them to heal me!!!!

So my current schedule is...

Friday: radiation oncologist for set-up, tattoos, and first radiation treatment...then MRI in afternoon (yikes!)

Monday: 2 more MRI's (yikes!!), radiation (each day until surgery)

Tuesday: pre-op appt at hospital

Friday (Sept. 19): surgery and stay in hospital for 4-5 days

I will return home just a few days before my 35th birthday, and I've made my wishes known that I want a big celebration this year!!! :) Fortunately, my birthday is a Sunday, so I won't have any treatments that day. And I will already be home from the hospital. Yipppeee!!! :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Praise God, Karin! I am so thrilled that you will begin treatment tomorrow and be on your way to better health! That really made my day! I hav ebeen holding my breath all day over this and I am thrilled that you are starting treatment tomorrow! After you handled things so well today... well, I am just so proud of you! I know you must be exhausted and I hope you get some relief from the pain and some deep rest tonight. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are quite courageous. I have been trying to think how I might encourage my cousin today and decided after reading your blog that you are the encourager. We will keep up on your blog and keep asking God to give you HIS peace and HEALING. Hang tough Cuz.
Mark

Noelle said...

I am in AWE at how God's prayers are working already!!! Thank the Lord!!! These last three posts have been SO encouraging! You haven't been out of my thoughts and prayers for even one waking minute since last Friday. And I have to say, thank GOD for the laughter about the tattoos and the "yipppeees" about the pain meds for comic relief. ; ) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karen,
I want you to know this is the
first time I have ever blogged to
someone, but my husband set me up
to do it. I get so scared of using
computers, but I'm trying to get
better. I so wanted to write to
you when I found out how you were
doing. I read your blog and I don't
know how you can write, but you are
right it's like therapy. I can tell
the Lord is blessing you and is with you and you are being a great
witness to people around you.
The kids and I have been praying for you and your family through this. I wish we were there to give
you hugs.
I want you to know your family means alot to us.
Give your Mom and Dad and husband
a hug for us.
Take care,
love Cousin Laura

Anonymous said...

OH Karin I'm so glad that things are working out and that God is looking up for you. I'm glad treatment can start tomorow and that you will be in your way to recovery soon.
Love ya!
Alex

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin! I am so glad to hear yesterday went so well and you are able to begin treatments today! Can you bring along a cd of your favorite music to listen to during your MRI? Praise God that you have such wonderful doctors and caregivers. We continue to pray for you! Love, Jen Kaisersatt

Baylee's Mommy said...

Hi Karen,
My name is Shonda Brewer. Nicki Glenn told me a little about your situation. I have been following your blog and checking for updates daily. I just wanted you to know that you have been in my thoughts and will continue to be in my prayers. You are truely courageous and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Karin,
I am praying for you always. Thanks Steve for the technical part as I understand a lot of it from having to learn about Caleb's cancer. Both of you are amazing and the pictures of the boys are awesome. Sure wish I could come play with them. Things sound much more hopeful with these new treatments. I will pray that you will not have any other tumors to deal with.
Love,
Sara

Anonymous said...

James 5:15+16 ". . . the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick .
Love, Ruth & Gary