Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bone Scan

Then we scurried back to the hospital, where the nice guy from this morning took me back for my full body bone scan. This was unpleasant. It wasn't quite time for the 12-hour pain meds yet, but I should have taken more vicoden. I was really in pain once I was lying on that hard "bed," unable to move for at least half an hour.

I lay down and the machine came down on top of my head -- just a couple inches from my face. He said it would take about half an hour, since I'm so tall. I had to hold still as it very slowly crept down the length of my body. I tried to keep my eyes closed while this machine was so close on top of my face. Fortunately, it was not noisy like an MRI. Then after that, he had to do a few more pictures -- different angles and also one of my head turned to the side. During the test, I was surprised that sometimes people were walking into the room. I don't know what they were up to, and I certainly couldn't look. (The technician was there the whole time though.) Then afterwards, he left to go make sure that the pictures were good enough. He was gone for at least 15 minutes, and I couldn't find anywhere to sit that was comfortable. I was alone in a large room with a sign on the door with a warning about something radioactive being inside. On top of that, there was a smaller room within the large room that also had a big radioactive warning and a keypad on the door - and that was left open. I felt like I was in a movie where someone would be invading this room to steal some key substance. So I tried to pass the time while I was in pain by singing "How Great Thou Art," which has been in my head a lot since I sang that on the worship team at church recently. Finally, I was done! And Steve was able to give me my pain meds, which took effect pretty quickly!! Hoorah!! :) But this was the main time of the day that I was officially a grump. ;) It was 4pm, I was hungry, and I was in pain.

No comments: