Friday, December 12, 2008

Still uncertain

Karin's condition is still very critical. Some of the med staff have said they had not expected her to make it through the night, but she did.

There have been some improvements.
They found fluid around her lungs and drained it. Her lungs are working much better - she is still on the ventilator and unconsious, but her blood oxygen improved greatly and they were able to reduce the level of oxygen they need to give her.
Another improvement is that they have been able to reduce and then stop the blood pressure boosting meds and her blood pressure has held on it's own.
Her kidney has not recovered but due to improved condition they have been able to do dialisis to clean the toxins from her blood - that is just finishing now.

That is a lot of good news, but it is not all good.
Her system was very toxic for a long time. They still believe all this was triggered by infection but they have not been able to find any trace of the infection, so they cannot target with a specific antibiotic but must use general antibiotics.
She is having heart failure. Her heart function is at only 15%. They don't know why and this might improve with the toxins removed and blood pressure meds stopped.

The next 12 hours are still a critical wait and see period to see if her body will continue to recover now that the toxins have been removed.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

Steve,
Thanks so much for taking the time to update. I will now be praying specifically for the doctor's to pinpoint the infection, for her heart, and kidney functions to improve. You are doing an amazing job taking care of your wife!
Amanda McQueen

theglenns556 said...

Steve,
Thank you so much for the updates in the midst of your deep concern for Karin. Praying still!

Kelley said...

Our entire community is praying for her here-all my students too! We are also praying for ALL of you during this difficult time. I can't believe you are even managing to touch a computer during this time. We'll keep thinking good thoughts for you over here in California.
Love
Kelley and Steve

Jeneanne Ericsson Sonoma County Photographer said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Steve, I know it must be crazy to be typing when there is so much going on for you. But I hope you know that it means soooo much to those of us out here who are far away and can only pray....and wait. I so appreciate the updates.

Anonymous said...

Steve
Thank you so much for taking the time to update all of us.I woke up during the night thinking and praying for Karin's health. We are still praying for things to improve and for Karin to be home soon...I'll be praying for her hearth and her kidney to improve...God Bless you and your family during these difficult times..
Alex Freeman ( Brian)

Amber said...

Steve, I do not know you or your lovely wife and family. I found her blog via another one I read and have read your story. I feel like I know you in some way and just wanted you to know that my husband and I both are praying for your wife, you ,and those 3 beautiful babies. Please know that people who you may not even know are interceding on your behalf.
Amber Dowdy

Mrs. Munchkin said...

Thank you Steve. I know it must be hard to write these updates as you relive your day all over. I pray God gives you the strength you need as you continue to care for Karin and the children. I will pray for God to place His hand upon Karin's heart and for Him to reveal the infection so the med staff can treat Karin appropriately.On bended knee, still. I am switching knees now..but still bending :)
Katie Meyer

MLE said...

Thank you so much for this information. I check my computer often during the day, hoping to discover good news. And although she is still so critical, there is some good news. Praying and loving all of you still.
MLE

CM and JM said...

Prayers are going out!!!! You and your family hang on tight during this time. Thank you for the updates.
-Carine

Anonymous said...

Steve:

Thank you so much for your updates. So many good things and what one must focus on, that in the midst of all of this, there are some good things. I continue to believe Karin is fighting w/ every fiber of her being and the prayers of people who know and love her are sustaining her. God is good, and He is doing an amazing job caring for you right now as you continue to be a pillar of strength for Karin. Will continue to pray for a swift recovery, improved heart function for Karin and strength for you to be all you need to be right now for your wife and family. We are available if there is anything we can do to help. just say the word.
Stephanie Sjoblad

Anonymous said...

Steve:
Thank you for your updates.Like so many others, I have checked frequently, looking for good news and every tiny improvement is good news...and we praise God. Know that Karin is enveloped in prayer and love, as you, Nina, Grant and the children are -- we ask God for His strength to sustain you all and His infinite power and mercy to heal Karin.
--Debby Jackson

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. Still praying without ceasing.
Amy Sherwin

Karl said...

Praise God for the good news - that is a lot of improvement in a short time. We will continue to pray.

Karl

Anonymous said...

May God Bless Karin and Steve with their lovely children. Sometimes things happen meant only for God's uderstanding. May God Bless this lovely family. And, may Karin, Steve and their family members and friends rest as peacefully as they can.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating Steve. You are such a great husband.
We are still praying!
love
Angela and Aaron

Esther said...

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

A psalm of David

Heavenly Father, you are the source of all life and we trust you to be merciful, just and sovereign. I ask that your spirit and an army of angels fill Karin's hospital room and all who attend her. Hear our prayers. Amen.

Anonymous said...

We are still praying for you, of course. I finally got to meet your daughter last night when I delivered supper, and she is a lovely girl. The boys were playing a game of slow chase. I pray that you both will be home soon with your sweet children.