This morning was the first time I had any type of appointment that Steve was unable to attend. He really needed to be at work today, and we decided it would be easy enough for my mom to take me. So that meant the boys came too! All I had to do today was a 15-minute IV at Duke (it was something to help my bones). All together, we were there for about an hour.
Many times in the past, Steve and I went to Duke with me riding in a wheel chair. But today, we had a fairly long walk... and instead of me riding in a wheel chair, I was pushing a stroller! :) And I was walking GREAT!! :) It felt sooo good to be walking confidently through those hallways with my boys!!! Then I set them up with snacks and a portable DVD player in the waiting room with Grandma. And when it was my turn... I had to go into the oncology treatment room alone. Steve had applied the numbing cream back at home, so I didn't feel a thing when they accessed my port. :) Hooray!! And then I sat there alone for my IV. I wasn't even nervous!!! It was pretty easy!!! :) :) When I first sat down, I commented that I had never done this without my husband holding my hand. And a woman nearby (who was sitting in a chair to accompany a friend or family member) said that she would be happy to hold my hand if I needed her to. :) But I did great!! I even fell asleep during it! ha! I was comfortably reclined in a chair with a blanket, flipping channels on the TV on the ceiling. And I did it all on my own!!!! Needless to say, I was quite proud of myself!!!! Woo hoo!! :)
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Karin,
You should be very proud of yourself!! You have overcome so much to be able to do that own your own. You definitely deserve a treat today!
Amanda
The lady offering to hold your hand made me tear up. Soooo sweet!
lol... so cool. made me both laugh and tear up!
The story about the stranger readily willing to hold your hand made me tear up too!
You absolutely deserve to feel proud - you have come such a long way...good job!!
I got your e-mail - how stinking exciting!!!
Jessica
Karin
You must have felt so good walking well and pushing the stroller.
Keep it up .... you are such a brave girl and an inspiration! You should be proud of yourself.
Nice story about the lady offering to hold your hand. Those stories warm the heart!
Through your blogs and how I perceive your personality and spirit, along with that wonderful smile, I'm sure we would all be happy to hold your hand.
Say Hi to Mom. What a comfort for you to have her with you. She's a GOOD Mom.
I am increadibly proud and amazed at how much my Love has learned to cope with and even smile about !!!
And I am so thankful for the strength her body gains each day.
What a happy post!!! : )
Way to go Karin!!!! We are very proud of you. Have a great and wonderful weekend. Lots of love to the whole family. Steve you are a wonderful husband!!!! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love to All
Uncle Gary and Aunt Ellen
It is so amazing at how much you can endure now, isn't it? That sweet lady was an angel waiting there to lend assistance if you had needed it. It is a reminder of what each of us can do as we live our lives. Our payers will continue to be with you and with Steve. Does NC give an award to the husband/father of the year?! We know who should be the winner!
Post a Comment