Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Port Tomorrow!!!

We had to get a bunch of stuff set up at Duke - the first of which was the port insertion. And it turns out that it will now be happening TOMORROW (Wednesday)!!! AAAACCCKKK!!!

I have to be there at 8:30am for an initial blood test. Ugh!! Please pray this one goes smoothly!!

Then at 9:30am, I will be at the hospital for the port insertion. I will be sedated, but not entirely knocked out. UGH!!! They said on the phone that it will take 1.5 hours!!! WHAT??? And then because of the sedation, I have to stay at the hospital for 3 hours for recovery. I also can't eat after midnight tonight.

I'm quite freaked out about this whole thing. Please pray for strength and peace - and that it goes well!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karin, I am praying for your port insertion. I know it sounds freaky to think about that thing, but it will make such a huge difference in the end! My mom said to tell you she is praying for you too. She had a port inserted during her cancer treatment in 2001 and it was so helpful! She was glad to have it when she had a relapse in 2002 and still has it to this day. She had the option of having it removed but chose to keep it just in case... She has to have it flushed at the hospital every so often to keep it clean, but its still going. Hang in there! The pay off is worth it. :)
Love ya,
Leanne

P.S. I voted early and have secured travel arrangements... I'll see you on the 3rd! :) Can't wait!

skgberry said...

Prayers for you and your family. But I also wanted to echo what Leanne said about the port. It can be used to administer meds and sometimes for the dreaded blood draws. Please think of it as a good thing.
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Karin Michelle,
We are always proud of you. We are especially proud of your courage, Faith and positive attitude. You are a gracious lady of incredible character. We could not be more proud than we are right now.
A Chief of Staff once told me that, "Only your heart, lung and brain can kill you. Everything else is an inconvenience." Karin, I'm so sorry for all of your inconveniences. I would bear them for you in a flash and don't understand why I can't. Your Mom and Greg would take them for you too.
Hang in there Babe. You are a wonderful example for all of us.
"Our God will supply all of your needs according to His mercy in Christ Jesus."
Love, Dad

Amanda said...

Karin,
I just read your dad's comment before posting this. So sweet it made me tear up!! Anyway, I'll be praying for the procedure tomorrow. Proceeedure sounds better than actually saying what it is, Doesn't it? From what little I know of ports, it makes taking blood/getting IV's so much better. I do hope it does for you.
Amanda

Kathy said...

I know it is scarry now, but you will appreciate it later. Make sure you ask them for a prescription for EMLA cream that you can put on 1/2 to 1 hour before they will be accessing your port in the future. It is numbing cream and makes a REALLY huge difference. If I get down for lunch, I will try to find Steve tomorrow. Kathy

Jan Young said...

Karin

I just finished reading your last couple of blogs. It's been a busy Thanksgiving weekend with family. I had Thanksgiving dinner.
wow noisy!

I realize tomorrow is going to be scary and traumatic. The insertion of the port will eliminate the poking and prodding and make things easier 'when over'.

You are probably familiar with the story 'FOOTPRINTS'
When the Lord was being questioned as to why there were usually two sets of footprints in the sand, but in the most troublesome times in life there could be seen only one set.
The Lord replied...
"My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you during your times of trial and suffering."
"When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you."

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Karin,

I'm so glad you've had some quiet days. You look great and are doing better and better! Although the port insertion is a minor surgery,it will be NOTHING like your previous surgery. Just take it easy the rest of the day tomorrow. You are being prayed for by many! Thanks for all of the updates, and remember you can do all things through Christ who strenthens you! Love,
Janet

Anonymous said...

We're praying for you!!

Love
Angela

Anonymous said...

Karin,

I am glad you are going for the port. I know you are anxious about it, but it will save you a lot of anxiety later. Just remember, you are not alone..God is with you. I am praying for you.

Noelle said...

They're not wasting any time, are they! I will most likely be driving during much of your ordeal tomorrow. Ahhh, an easy time to say a Rosary for you! So, yes, you bet I will pray!