Friday, October 31, 2008

I Can Hold Kien!!!

I called my surgeon's office this morning and spoke to a nurse.... and I told her that as of today, it's been 6 weeks since my surgery to remove my kidney... and am I now allowed to hold my 17-lb son????? She went to ask another doctor, and came back to say.... YES!!!!!!! :) :) :)

So I held Kien for the first time today in 6 weeks!!! :) :) However, I know that when my back got really bad at the end of August, I could not hold him. Then I went to an orthopedist and got an MRI on Sept. 5, and that's when it all began. I imagine that the pain perhaps decreased enough in early September that I did hold Kien again?? But really, it may have been almost 2 months since I had been able to hold him!!

Kevin wanted me to hold him too, but I'm definitely not ready for that. ;) It was actually holding Kevin back in April (and going out with friends one night in heels) that led to the beginning of my back pain that never went away.

Here's our family!! :)

I pulled Kien up out of his high chair, which was a bit of a trick (particularly with my broken arm). And after a bit, I had to hand him back to Steve. I held him for a couple other brief times during the day today until it would start to hurt (the pain I'm feeling is in my left leg). I can't hold him for long. But it's so wonderful to hold him again!!!! :) :) And this afternoon, Kien actually pulled on my pant legs, looked up, and called out, "Mama! Mama!" So he seems to now be aware that I CAN pick him up again!!! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did NOT hold him in early Sept. That is why you called me on Sunday, Aug. 31 and asked me to come help you -- because you could not pick up your boys!

Anonymous said...

But hurray!!!! You are getting better every day!!!!

theglenns556 said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Karin
is so great that you are feeling better and can play and hold your child!! yay!!!!!!
Alex Freeman

Unknown said...

Hi Karin: I cannot tell you how happy this message is making me. Your photos are like fine medicine to all of us! You look beautiful, Steve looks happy and those boys are wonderful! I'm lovin' that cross necklace too :). Aunt Diane

Amanda said...

Yeah!!! Karin, you look so beautiful in these pictures. I am sure being able to hold Kein again is some of the best medicine!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I noticed twice now you said the actual B word when referencing a particular B-TEST. :o)

Love the Halloween costumes...!! Cute...!

I don't hardly comment but I'm a dedicated reader (and pray-er!)

Laura