I have sooo much to say, but unfortunately I have no time to say it (unless I can't sleep tonight and can do it in the middle of the night - ha!). I have been home for 3 days now. I am improving, but I am also still experiencing a lot of pain. So we need to have a chat with a doctor about that tomorrow, because it does get quite severe and has kept me from sleeping most of the last 2 nights. I also was unable to get much of a nap today (which I really needed).
But today was my birthday!!!! :) :) Thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes!!!! I am now undeniably in my mid-30's. sigh. ;)
Steve and my parents held a big birthday party for me this afternoon at our church! It was FABULOUS!!!! I can't wait to write more about it and post pictures. :) But that must wait until I at least try to get some sleep...
Also, my dad returned on Friday night from Toronto - along with my Aunt Diane!! And then Saturday morning, my brother Greg and his family arrived from Texas!!!! :) :) So it was WONDERFUL seeing everyone!!! Of course, it was always tricky having to decide whether to socialize or try to sleep (which never worked well anyway). But what a fun weekened after my week spent in the hospital!!! :) :) We did stay home all weekend, with 2 exceptions.... my birthday party today and a professional family photo session yesterday (where they took good care of me by keeping me in a chair).
I will continue with radiation this week at 2pm each day. I'm not sure if my last day will be Thursday or Friday -- or if it's even going to be extended due to those new spots that were located last week. We shall see. I think I have failed to mention that radiation often takes somewhere around 6 weeks to stop the pain. Ugh. (Despite the fact that radiation will be long completed by then.) So unfortunately, we're still working on pain management -- and it hasn't gone well this weekend. I'm also having some bad side effects of anxiety attacks (I have meds for that), sleeplessness, and something that you might call hallucinations (but I'm not sure if that's truly the right term -- I'll try to explain more in a later message).
Fortunately, I stayed pretty pain-free for my birthday party!! :) (But I really suffered for it afterwards. :( ) It was still a wonderful afternoon regardless!!!!! :)
On Tuesday, I will have my staples removed. Oooo. Let's not even talk about that one.
But tomorrow morning (Monday), I have an important appointment with a new oncologist!! He is an expert in kidney cancer treatment and research. Bear in mind that kidney cancer is not even very common, so it is awesome that this man is even in our local area! We were referred to him through multiple channels, including through doctors in both NY and Charlotte, NC.
I don't know what to expect yet out of this first appointment, and I am nervous. Steve is my research guy, so he is much more prepared than I. This time, both of my parents want to attend the appointment. Fortunately, they can, because my Aunt Diane is going to stay home with the boys. :) (She and my dad leave later on Monday.) Please pray for a good appointment and wisdom for all involved!!! Thank you!!!!
I have so much more I want to say once I get my life little more in order. For example, from where I'm sitting in our bedroom right now, I can see 9 birthday presents that I have not opened. What????!!!! That's insane!!!! That just shows how nutty today has been. ;) OH! And then we realized just a bit ago that Steve even had more birthday presents to give me, and he forgot all about them! ha! Busy day. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Karin, I also am up in the night. I am so happy you had a wonderful Birthday. I was hoping you would. I do hope your apt. goes well. We will pray to that end. Hopefully you are fast asleep now. Sweet dreams. Love Aunt Ellen
HI
I'm hapy that you had such a wonderful birthday!!!! hope that your appt. todya goes well and he give you more info about treatments,etc..praying that you are pain free soon....don't worry about the staples they don't really hurt when they are taken off...just ask him or her not to tell you how many you have or are left to go to finish....God bless you all!!
Alex
Thanks for the great birthday party with you yesterday. It was wonderful to see so many family and friends helping you celebrate - sorry you paid for it so much and hpe y9u rested well Sunday night.
Praying your apt. goes well with the oncologist and that you continue to feel better each day
Love,
Dan and Jan
Hi Karin,
It's Amber's sister here. Just wanted you to know that I had adominal surgery in May - we have so much in common! I also had the dreaded staples - but it really was a breeze having them removed. I know you are queasy about it, but they literally just slide out and you have so much more mobility then because your incision isn't so rigid. I don't know how else to re-assure you about this, but I have at least experienced it and I'm sure your anti-anxiety med will prove very useful - I had nothing but some codeine and it was a cinch! Blessings!
Laura Johnson
Happy Birthday! How did your mom and Steve have time to plan a party??? I know you were blessed by the celebration. Praying for peace and strength for your appointments today.
Amanda
Happy Belated Birthday!!
Love
Angela, Aaron, Courtney and Dylan
Post a Comment